Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day Two

Yesterday, Day Two of my challenge, went well. I put $20 on my metro card but have plans to bike to work tomorrow (like I said, transportation costs are unavoidable). I also spent $19.92 on groceries and tried to buy no pre-packaged foods but I'm finding this more difficult than I expected. I purchased bananas, oranges, some veggies, dried black beans and mixed nuts but I also bought yogurt, milk and tortillas.

This is the issue with winging this challenge without planning: I get to the grocery store and, being from (North) America, I assume that certain foods can't be made at home. While dairy milk is impossible to produce at home without access to a large mammal, upon searching I found a recipe for homemade yogurtalmond milk, and tortillas. If I can find all the supplies for these, I will attempt to make these soon (emphasis on the word attempt).

And I have to be honest- when I started this challenge I had planned to cheat once. There is a party at a Bike Co-op tonight that is a fundraiser. The cost is $10, and even though saying I've been planning to go for a while doesn't make it fit with the terms of this challenge, I'm giving myself a break only because it goes to a good cause (and maybe because it will be fun). Points for honesty?

I did make my own lavender shortbread cookies from scratch yesterday though. They are tasty, it wasn't difficult even with my lack of baking experience, and now I have tons of cookies to give away to anyone who wants them.

I also went to a free outdoor movie in the evening and fought off the desire to buy packaged snacks and brought nuts, oranges and water instead. Go me.

Total spent so far: $39.92

No comments:

Post a Comment