Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day Six

I put $100 on my metro card. That should last me a while, but it is surprising how fast it dwindles away.

I'm realizing that while eating only foods that I've made myself will save money in the end, it's freaking expensive to start. I didn't have ground cumin or a pound of raw almonds or even corn starch. I spent $45.85 on groceries today but it doesn't feel like I got a lot. While at the grocery store, I also had an intense desire to chow down on a bag of chips and then again on a candy bar and then drink a Diet Coke, but I didn't. I resisted.


Like I said before, I'm reading this book "Not Buying It" and I've come across some good insight:
"Research shows that just about everyone thinks she needs the things she buys and considers almost everything she wants a necessity. Half of Americans- not just poor ones- say they can't afford their 'needs'. We're not greedy, we say. It's everyone else who is acquiring useless stuff. In one study conducted by Juliet Schor, the economic sociologist, 78 percent of respondents stated that most Americans are 'very materialistic'. Only 8 percent considered themselves very materialistic."

Total spent so far: $211.35

No comments:

Post a Comment