Monday, July 18, 2011

Day Four

I spent the $10 to go to the Bike House Party. And it was fun. So sue me.

I did, however, bring my own lunch and for dinner went to Whole Foods and bought an avocado, tomato and lettuce and made my own wraps with tortillas I brought. A guy walked by and shook his head, laughing at me cutting up a messy avocado and drippy tomato with a plastic knife next to my whole head of lettuce. But at least I didn't buy food out! (and come on, it's Whole Foods- the people who shop there dream of eating like that)

Whole Foods total bill: $15.58 (including a jar of honey and some raw almonds)

I also met a friend from out of town for lunch and ate the lunch I brought with me. He knew ahead of time about my 30-day-money-hiatus so that helped, but otherwise it could have been awkward. If I hadn't brought anything to eat, do I just sit there and stare, making him feel uncomfortable for eating in front of me? I could keep refilling my free glass of water and act like it is really satisfying. The last thing I want is to seem like I'm setting myself apart or judging or asking for a hand-out.

But in our society it is awkward to shy away from the norm, and the norm is to be okay with spending money. Maybe this challenge is teaching me to be more okay with that myself.

Total spent so far: $65.50


Wow, this adds up even when you're "not spending money".

No comments:

Post a Comment